Acoustic Guitar

This is my blog on building an acoustic guitar that my wife got me as a kit. Some of the parts came preassembled, which is cool because I have a small child and no free time. ;-)

Monday, February 15, 2010

Bending iron redux

So I tilted the propane torch upright and moved the pipe higher up. I then clamped this to my work bench and all is well. This helped my issue with the propane torch blowing out. I used the flame on low.


I soaked the rosewood binding for 15 min. Next binding will be longer so the wood does not dry out so fast. I kept a spray bottle filled with water nearby to rehydrate the wood as it dried during bending. I used a wet paper towel between the wood and the hot pipe and it helped avoid scorching. I also made a jig to hold the binding in shape during cooling and drying. I reused the tops from the spool clamps for this jig. Wood was left in the jig for 24 hrs. The jig also helped me see if the bend was going well.

Bent two sides so far. I will update tomorrow with photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment