Acoustic Guitar

This is my blog on building an acoustic guitar that my wife got me as a kit. Some of the parts came preassembled, which is cool because I have a small child and no free time. ;-)

Monday, February 8, 2010

Top Repair... Arrrgh

Tonight I routed the top. Awesome. Came out clean. Then as I cleaned my work bench, I knocked the guitar on the cement floor!?!?#?!?

Part of the front soundboard bottom lifted and cracked. Luckily (seems ironic to use lucky in this sentence) it was with the grain so the patch went well. I added a small super thin maple patch under the crack using titebond. looks good from above.
After the repair I knocked on the top and noticed no difference in sound or feel to knocks before I cracked the top.

Here is the crack:


barely noticeable, but there none the less.
My fat arm and huge hands can't reach that far into the sound hole, so luckily my wife's much younger sister could fit her super thin arm to the crack at the base of the guitar. She used a jack to hold the piece of maple and it came out great.





Here is the patch 2 hours later.It needs to be sanded or filed to take a little meat off, but it is less than 1/4", and it cleaned up the crack nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment